In 1984, the National Crime Prevention Council designated October Crime Prevention Month- the official month for recognizing and celebrating the practice of crime prevention. NCPC annually releases a Crime Prevention Month Kit, which includes a calendar and crime prevention handouts.
Each week of Crime Prevention Month, Celebrate Safe Communities registered sites have been encouraged to focus on one of four crime prevention themes. NCPC developed the selected themes through consultation with previous Celebrate Safe Communities participants concerned about widespread crime trends in their local communities.
The themes and weeks are as follows:
• October 1-7: Community Engagement
• October 8-14: Neighborhood and Home Safety
• October 15-21: Personal Safety
• October 22-28: Cyber Safety
Here are some ways that your company can promote crime prevention—and Halloween safety—this October.
• Visit the Stop Bullying Now! Campaign to download free resources such as tip sheets for adults and cartoon webisodes for youth, to unite and inform communities about the importance of bullying prevention.
• Request a photo opportunity with McGruff the Crime Dog through your local police department. Use the photo to highlight the issue of crime prevention on your website, in newsletters, and in your office.
• Sponsor a Crime Prevention Month poster or essay contest
• Write an op-ed article for your local newspaper highlighting Crime Prevention Month and Halloween safety.
• Attend or help host a Halloween safety event in your community.
For more info, visit the National Crime Prevention Council website.