home icon     |     Find a Branch     |   Help     |     
Login / Register    
DiVal Logo White HR
1-800-343-1354

24/7 Sales + Customer Service

DiVal-Dispatch-Fullwidth

Carbon Monoxide: The Silent Killer

Carbon-monoxide
Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless gas that is poisonous and can kill you if you inhale too much.


Every year in the United States, there are about 400 carbon monoxide-related deaths, and about 20,000 people are hospitalized, according to Safeopedia.


There are many culprits in a home that can give off carbon monoxide that you should always be aware of:

• Faulty furnaces
• Stoves
• Hot water tanks
• Heaters
• Cookers
• Burning wood

Any appliance that uses gas or anything associated with heat can be a risk to the home. Regular up-keep and maintenance of these appliances is essential to keeping you and your loved ones safe.

Make sure to have at least one CO detector in your home and keep it closer to where people sleep. Be sure to change the batteries once every six months. It is also a good idea to have one closer to where the hot water heater and furnace are located, so as to know sooner if there is a gas leak in the home. They are inexpensive and can even save lives.

It is important to remember that carbon monoxide does not always kill those who breathe it in. If you are at home and start to feel dizzy and nauseous, there is a chance that there is a leak and you should immediately take action. First, get out of the house, and from there contact a fuel company. This is one of the most preventable dangers, and homeowners should always take the proper precautions.

For information about buying a CO detector for your home or workplace, visit the DiVal Safety website.

Source: Safeopedia, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

 

Rate this blog entry:
4
Heart disease claims thousands of American lives e...
Sleep deprivation can have a negative impact in yo...

Related Posts

Comments

 
No comments made yet. Be the first to submit a comment
Guest
Tuesday, 21 November 2017